Currently In Muisc...

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Swirlies - What to Do About Them


First off, I apologize for the lack up attention I've been giving this blog, with school maxing out most of my time with studying, homework, and other business, what little time I do have I usually spend trying to do absolutely nothing, which is probably why I chose to highlight the 90's shoegaze band, Swirlies' What to Do About Them today.

I actually stumbled upon this album randomly while skimming icoulddietomorrow and I can't remember what exactly caught my attention to check it out, but I am definitely glad that I did. The band is from Boston and this is their 1992, 7 song EP that was originally released on the Boston based record label, Taang! and is a collection of previously released demos and self recorded tracks. This album is definitely for those who enjoy My Bloody Valentine, Slowdrive, Ride, and any other dream pop, shoegaze-like band. What sets this band apart from getting lost in the mix of other bands is their much more sudden bursts of energy and punk roots and use of experimental lo-fi clips.

The opening track, "Tall Ships" starts off as you would expect coming from this type of band, but the next track "Sarah Sitting" erupts with rolling palm muting accompanied by synchronized drum rolls. Their Sonic Youth influence becomes pretty obvious the rest of the album especially on the former track and "Didn't Understand" with their dissonant guitar fills and bends. Another band, Woods, also comes to mind while listening to this album because they use cassette clips that have a way intending the eerie and sad mood of "Cousteau". From start to finish this release has enough new tricks up its sleeve to keep you hooked the whole way through, and it'll probably keep you coming back for more, I know I have--I've listened to this album several times a day, every day since I checked them out about 2 weeks ago.


No comments: